Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Super Bowl Quiz: 2006

[Updated With Answers 2/1]


1. Match these Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks with the college for whom they played:

QB: Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, Trent Dilfer, Bob Griese, Roger Staubach

College: Fresno State, Purdue, Alabama, Navy, Louisiana Tech

2. Name two quarterbacks who played at Notre Dame and won Super Bowls for their respective teams.

3. WHO AM I? In college, I was a second-string running back at the University of Nebraska, playing behind Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier. While Rozier struggled in the pros, I flourished - winning 3 Super Bowls, becoming a perennial All-Pro, and setting records for the number of receptions by a running back. In the off-season, I modeled underwear for the Macy’s Department Store chain. Who am I?

4. Who is the only player to win a Super Bowl MVP award that played for a team which lost the game:

a. Ed Marinaro, Minnesota Vikings
b. John Elway, Denver Broncos
c. Thurman Thomas, Buffalo Bills
d. Chuck Howley, Dallas Cowboys
e. Bubba Smith, Baltimore Colts

5. WHO AM I (inanimate object edition)? I hosted a Super Bowl in the 1980s, the only time the game was played on my grass and in my region. The game was played on a cool, drizzly day. During my illustrious career, I also hosted World Cup games, Olympic events, and NCAA Championship track & field events. In 2005, I was demolished and then reborn as a smaller, more modern stadium. Who am I?

6. Which one of these famous sports announcers has never called the play-by-play at a Super Bowl?

a. Curt Gowdy
b. Pat Summerall
c. Al Michaels
d. Bob Costas
e. Dick Enberg

7. WHO ARE WE? There are two of us. We played in the same conference in college. When one of us played, it had 8 teams; when the other played, it had expanded to 10. We each won a Heisman Trophy. We each won a Rose Bowl. We each won a Super Bowl. Who are we?

Bonus: Who meets the same criteria as we do, but won a Cotton Bowl instead of a Rose Bowl?

8. FOR THE EXPERTS (or weirdos, depending on your point of view): What do Tex Maule, Dan Jenkins, Mark Mulvoy, Paul Zimmerman, and Peter King have in common?

Answers

1. Stabler/Alabama; Bradshaw/Louisiana Tech; Dilfer/Fresno State; Griese/Purdue; Staubach/Navy

2. Joe Theismann and Joe Montana

3. Roger Craig, San Francisco 49ers

4. d. Chuck Howley, Dallas Cowboys

5. Stanford Stadium

6. d. Bob Costas

7. Jim Plunkett and Marcus Allen

8. They all wrote a Super Bowl cover story for Sports Illustrated.

No comments: