Thursday, March 22, 2007

An Open Letter to Sacramento Kings Management

Dear Joe, Gavin and family:

Watching a Kings game at Arco Arena has become an assault on the senses, and I'm not referring to the play on the floor. Specifically, I'm talking about an assault on one particular sense - hearing.

And lest you think that I'm some Johnny-come-lately fan who likes to whine as soon as the wins become scarce, I've been a part of a season-ticket group since the inaugural season of 1985-86, and have probably seen close to 200 games during that time. My dad and I, who usually attend the games together, have been through thick, thin, thinner, and thinnest. And we'll be coming back next year.

But you need to know that the noise level at Arco Arena has gone beyond ridiculous, to somewhere between absurd and criminal. Last night, in the bar before the game, the band was so loud that you literally couldn't hold a conversation, even if you yelled at each other from two feet away. The bands that play in the bar are generally good, but come on - is anyone there to listen to the band? I'm not kidding, I've been at concerts where the music hasn't been that loud.

So we wander down to our seats, expecting a nice respite...but no, the "pre-game show" is showing on the big screen TV, and that's right, you guessed it...ear splitting loud. So loud it HURTS. And at this point, there can be no more than 2,000 people in their seats. We can hear it, OK? Why does it have to be so loud?

The decibel level during the introductions probably rivals that of a 747, but it seems that there is an NBA rule now that requires such nonsense. So I won't hold that one against you.

Thank God, the game begins. And we get treated, every time the Kings have the ball, to...you guessed it...ear splitting music. WHY, WHY, WHY, has it become necessary to play music DURING the damn game? When I went to the Bob Dylan concert at Arco last October, I didn't expect to see a pick-up basketball game being played on the stage. And when I'm at a basketball game, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR MUSIC WHILE THE GAME IS GOING ON! And I can assure you that no one I've ever talked to likes to hear music while the game is in play.

You guys are cool, I get that...but believe me - this whole "noise thing" is dumb. It is idiotic. It is well beyond stupid. It's insulting to your customers, and frankly disrespectful to your players.

So please, dear God, turn it down.

Your loyal Kings fan,

Jeff

No comments: