Monday, September 24, 2007

Dinner With the Folks

This is the kind of routine press announcement that gets included in Sacramento’s daily Capitol Morning Report:

SAN FRANCISCO -- First Lady Maria Shriver eats dinner with 300 families at the Tenderloin Community School, marks Family Day - A Day to Eat Dinner with Your Children, promoters say "the more often children eat dinner with their families, the less likely they are to smoke, drink or use drugs."

For some reason, this one strikes me as a bit odd. What if the family drinks, smokes, or heaven forbid, takes drugs during dinner? For instance, I have a glass of wine with dinner. By doing so, am I dooming my children to a life of squalor?

What it doesn’t strike me as is a comment that was based on any type of scientific study. But, I could be wrong.

No comments: