Saturday, January 19, 2008

What A Drag It Is Getting Old

So...yesterday, I went out and bought a really good reggae collection, part of the Island Records 40th Anniversary set. After listening to it this morning (with headphones on, before anyone else woke up ) I thought it would be cool to turn the kids on to some Toots & the Maytals, specifically their great song "Funky Kingston." Not only is the song great - even though it's been 35 years since it was released, it sounds like it could have been released yesterday. The very definition of a timeless masterpiece.

The exchanges went something like this:

Dad: Hey, check this song out.

Son #1 (17 years old): Yeah, that's the theme song of "Miami Ink."

Dad: Really?

I'm thinking to myself, "when has he ever watched Miami Ink? Oh well...whatever." Ah, here comes son #2. Redemption time.

Dad: Hey, listen to this - I think you'll really like it.

Son #2 (13 years old): Isn't that the song they play at the beginning of "Miami Ink"?

Dad: Uh, yeah, I guess it is.

Stupid kids.

No comments: