Thursday, June 05, 2008

Hillary as Victim

Interesting reader commentary from Talking Points Memo on the Hillary Clinton "I need time to get over my disappointment" phenomenon.

Key graf:

I really believe that the underlying message, which is being pushed hardest by Hillary herself, is that she is a victim, her supporters are victims, and they will need to be coddled until they can pull themselves together. Now, I'm not saying there weren't sexist elements working against her in this campaign (although, in my opinion, not as many as some others may think), but being a passive victim, in my opinion, is not feminism. It is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Throughout the campaign, I've found the "if Hillary is losing, it must be due to sexism" arguments intensely aggravating. It's as if this was the first time in the history of presidential elections that an early favorite had been defeated by an opponent who, over time, proved to have a better staff, a better strategy, and a more effective message.

Don't count me among the coddlers. I think Hillary Clinton's actions earlier this week did more damage to her reputation than anything she's done in her entire public career. The sooner she is officially out of the race, the better.

No comments: