Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Chill in the Air

This summer, I've been as good about running as I've been for quite a while. No matter how much the body wants to stay in bed in the morning, I've dragged it up at 6 a.m. to run each Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and have been able to go out on both days most weekends.

The past few days, it's been cooling down nicely in the evenings, and early in the morning I'd go so far as to say that some people might decide to wear sweaters, and I wouldn't make fun of them. Today was such a morning, and for the first time this summer, something clicked in my head while I was running that said "fall is on the way." This happens to me at some point every year, and it's hard to put into words. I feel the chill physically, but in my mind I see the change that is coming, and at the same time feel a bit in awe at the passage of time. Didn't school just get out? Didn't we just celebrate Memorial Day? And has it really been almost a month since Independence Day?

Well, yes we did, and yes it has. And before you know it, the pigskin will be in the air, it will be dark when that alarm clock goes off every morning, and the leaves will turn. And summer will be nothing but a memory.

1 comment:

Marion said...

It's strange, but I experience that same moment, when I smell a certain scent in the air or I feel a slight chill which has that particular fall like feel.

Thank you for entering and for promoting the Soup to Nuts Carnival. I enjoyed your post on the First Course thoroughly!