Sunday, July 20, 2008

For Brett Favre

Although Steve Wynn wrote this song about Sandy Koufax, a good portion of the lyrics could just as easily be applied to that "aw, shucks" guy who's played at Lambeau Field all these years.

For that reason, I'd like to dedicate "Long Before My Time" to Brett Favre and quote the following lyrics:

Long Before My Time

My mind and body say I'm done but something says I must go on.
Conventional wisdom does implore you give it all and then give some more.

Summer slowly turns to fall. It's so hard to walk away from it all long before my time.

My agent says I need to move.
What do I have left to prove?
I falter when I hold my ground.
For a couple of bucks you can keep me around.
You're only young just once.
I know but history will always show you pad your best days with the chaff
A faded tarnished photograph.

I stop and change my mind most every day.
It is better to burn out or fade away?

I must go on, I can't go on.
I must go on, I can't go on.
Summer slowly turns to fall. It's so hard to walk away from it all long before my time.

No comments: