Monday, July 07, 2008

How To Tarnish A Legacy In Six Short Months

Boy, if you had bet six months ago that Brett Favre was poised to erase nearly two decades of good will in Green Bay, you would have been laughed out of the building. But a day of reckoning is coming soon, and depending on what happens, Packer Nation may never be quite the same again.

In his SI.Com column today, Peter King does a good job deconstructing the bind that the Packers are in. Basically, it boils down to this: keeping, releasing, and trading Favre are all bad options. My guess is that if Favre decides he wants to play, the Packers will keep him, regardless of what it costs them in terms of good will with Aaron Rodgers, the heir apparent. I just can't imagine that they'll take a chance on seeing Favre play in Chicago or Minnesota this fall and winter.

I've both lauded and criticized Favre in the past, and even though I generally agree with Bill James' adage that it's up to great players to decide when to retire, I have to say that I think Favre is out of his mind if he returns. But, last time I checked, I didn't get a vote.

No comments: