Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Jeff's Jukebox: B-8



B-8: "Rent," Pet Shop Boys

And now for something completely different - time to get into a little 1980s European synth pop.

Pet Shop Boys have been spinning out dance hits for nearly 25 years now. They're probably best known for "West End Girls," but this is my favorite song of theirs, from the great 1986 album Pet Shop Boys, Actually. I suppose you could dance to it, but it's not a dance song per se. It's the song of a kept man, somewhat haunting and somewhat gorgeous, all at the same time.

You dress me up
I'm your puppet
You buy me things
I love it
You bring me food
I need it
You give me love
I feed it

And look at the two of us in sympathy
with everything we see
I never want anything, it's easy
you buy whatever I need
But look at my hopes, look at my dreams
the currency we've spent
I love you, you pay my rent
I love you, you pay my rent

No comments: