Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Can We Start Track and Field Early?

OK, I've had enough gymnastics melodrama. Setting the debate over the age of China's gymnasts aside, you know something is way out of whack when a silver medal in the Olympic Games somehow becomes one of life's great crushing disappointments. Fortunately I did myself a favor last night, and checked the results before the program began on NBC. Once I knew where the U.S. Team placed and how it got there, there really was no reason to watch. Al Trautwig is a vast improvement over John Tesh, but it would be nice every now and then to try and lend some humor to the proceedings. Notwithstanding the reactions of the U.S. team members, this really isn't life and death stuff.

So there's at least two more nights of this, but at least it's the individual competitions, where the storylines aren't quite the soap-opera of the team event. I'm just ready for it be over, so we can get to some more events that don't involve judging.

1 comment:

D. Prince said...

I've always been a fan of the Romanians personally but there is no way in Hell some of those girls are 16. But after watching the America women I think they should be thankful they didn't get bronze.