Saturday, September 06, 2008

Dark Knight in IMAX

The whole family went to the IMAX today to see "The Dark Knight," and as much as I liked the movie the first time I saw it, it was even better in the IMAX format. The shots of Chicago and Hong Kong were awe-inspiring, and the sound system was so good that you could feel it in your heart when the score surged (and you could even hear every word Gary Oldman said).

Everything in the IMAX format is larger than life, but "The Dark Knight" is one movie that can meet that challenge. On the really big screen, Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker is even more impressive. And I don't know if it was the IMAX or just the fact that I was seeing it for the second time, but Christian Bale came across stronger on the second go-around as well.

The theater was sold out, and except for the couple in the row below us who brought their two young daughters (and I mean really young - the oldest couldn't have been more than 3 or 4), watched the whole thing with rapt attention. I can't remember the last time I've been in a theater that quiet. Or the last time I heard so much applause at the end of a movie. I would have thought that most of the folks there had already seen it, but it sure sounded like there were a lot of first-timers.

In short, great movie - even better in IMAX.

[My original thoughts here.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have to see the others to enjoy this one?

Jeff Vaca said...

As long as you have a rudimentary understanding of the legends of Batman, The Joker, and Harvey Dent you'll be just fine. In terms of tone and continuity for the current franchise, it wouldn't hurt to see "Batman Begins."