Friday, September 26, 2008

I Hate to Pile On, But...

...in the end, it's just too hard to resist.

I was impressed with Sarah Palin's convention speech, and thought her selection was a great strategic move. But facts are facts, and there's little doubt that her interview this week with Katie Couric was one of the great political train wrecks of all time.

We live in a polarized world, and everyone these days is certain of their own opinion. I always try to keep a voice in the back of my mind that tells me, "did it ever occur to you that you might be wrong?" Well, in this case I'm ignoring that little voice, because I honestly think that anyone who tries to spin that interview into something positive for the McCain campaign has been snorting something powerful that's really, really bad for you.

Brendan Loy puts it well here, and his post includes some great links.

UPDATE: As far as spin goes, I think this is probably as good as one can do. Unless I'm mistaken, it boils down to "McCain isn't letting Palin be herself." I'm not sure I buy it.

3 comments:

Sheila O'Malley said...

I absolutely cringed watching that interview.

Jeff Vaca said...

I felt the way I feel when I watch a really bad performance on "American Idol." You want the person to do better, and at the same time you're incredulous at what you're seeing unfold before you.

Sheila O'Malley said...

Words fail me how unprepared and terrible she is. Not just bad - but incoherent at the intellectual level.

Terrible.