Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Palin

Sarah Palin is no Dan Quayle, and based on tonight's speech, I'm tempted to go out on a limb and declare McCain's choice a stroke of genius. Aside from it being about ten minutes too long, I can't find any faults with her speech. Sure, it was just as political as one might expect, and she took what many reasonable people would consider some cheap shots, but that's all part of the game.

Best line? The hockey mom-pit bull comparison, hands down. That was the only time that we've laughed out loud at anything we've heard in any of the speeches so far, at either convention.

The thing is, she seems real. She doesn't come across as your run-of-the-mill politician, but neither does she come across as some larger-than-life mythical figure.

And no, that doesn't mean that I'm suddenly going to jump across the aisle, and vote Republican. But for the first time, tonight I wonder whether the Democrats might be in some trouble. And I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that Joe Biden is going to "eat her alive" in the Vice-Presidential debate. If I were Joe Biden, I'd have some trouble sleeping tonight.

The race is on.

No comments: