Saturday, October 04, 2008

Roll On You Bears!

It dawned on me this morning that I haven't written a thing this season about college football, specifically the California Golden Bears. Events have conspired against my watching most of the games so far - I missed most of the Washington State game because we went to see a movie, I missed the Maryland game (thank goodness) because of a board meeting, and I missed the Colorado State game because of my trip to New Orleans. Overall, this is probably a good thing, because my blood pressure tends to rise when the Bears are on.

3-1 is not a bad start - those of us who have been around for a while remember the seasons when 3 wins amounted to an entire season - but today will probably be an indication of how the season is going to turn. Arizona State is only 2-2, but with Dennis Erickson at the helm they can't be taken lightly. Jahvid Best is out, and I read in the paper this morning that Jeff Tedford reinstituted the quarterback competition this week between Kevin Riley and Nate Longshore. Not having watched the games, I'm not sure what that's all about.

All of which is to say that today's game will serve as a barometer for the rest of the season. The Pac-10 is having a down year, USC has already been beaten, so the grand prize seems ripe for the taking. Can't afford to lose any more games, because USC always seems to gain strength late in the season. I'll be missing much of the game again today, but hopefully will be back home in time for the second half.

Go Bears!

No comments: