Saturday, December 20, 2008

Happy 18th Birthday!

At this moment 18 years ago today, I was sitting in my wife's hospital room waiting for the birth of Son #1. Random memories of the day:

- The night before, Debra had talked to our friend Lisa, who told me after talking to her that it was time to get ready - the baby was going to be born very soon.

- With our neighbor Jolane, we shared a bottle of champagne that night. As Debra said, "at this point, I really don't think it's going to do us a lot of of harm."

- We left for the hospital around 2:30 in the morning, and damn it was cold. It was early Thursday morning, and that weekend would become one of the coldest in Sacramento history - with temperatures dipping down into the teens.

- I wore a short-sleeved shirt with pink polka dots. Hey, what can I say - you're not thinking too clearly at that moment.

- We were at the hospital long enough for all three of the doctors who had seen Debra during the course of her pregnancy to participate in the birth. One applied the epidural, one "broke the water," and one delivered the baby.

- Very quickly that morning, family began to arrive - my parents, Debra's mother, my sister-in-law to be (one of my brothers was taking a final that day, and the other was getting ready to fly up from southern California).

- Son #1 was born at 5:17 p.m.

- When the doctor went out into the hallway to make the announcement, he loudly declared, "ugliest baby I've ever seen!" Fortunately, my family has a sense of humor.

And so on this morning, son #1 and his friends are playing video games, after a sleepover. He's 18 years old.

Hard to believe.

Happy birthday!

1 comment:

pepperos said...

Hi. Why did you not send me a piece of cake by UPS? :-) Nice post.
Josef R.