Thursday, August 06, 2009

Top 25 of the 2000s - #25

#25 – Vampire Weekend

When I first reviewed this album in April 2008, I wrote, “Like the meringue on a lemon pie, the music on Vampire Weekend tastes good, but you’re not sure if there’s any substance there.” I went on to say that while the songs sounded great, the jury was still out on whether they – and the record – would stand the test of time.

A year and a half later, I’m pleased to report that Vampire Weekend has survived some heavy, heavy rotation on my MP3 player, and that I enjoy listening to it today as much (if not more) than I did at the time of its release.

Is it authentic? That’s for someone wiser than me to decide. Is it calculated? Sure. But in the end, does that really matter? All I know is that every time “A-Punk” comes on, all I want to do is jump around, or practice my air-drumming. And if it comes on when I'm running, I never fail to gain a little spring in my step.

I recently read in Rolling Stone that the band is putting the finishing touches on its second album, and while I look forward to hearing it, I also wonder whether this is the classic set-up for a sophomore slump. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, let’s just say that Vampire Weekend was a great debut album, remarkably consistent, and without a truly weak cut. It sounds good, and you can dance to it.

My original review can be found here.

No comments: