Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Beatlemania!

Today is the day, folks - the remastered versions of the Beatles catalog hit the stores, along with "Rock Band - The Beatles," which will likely become the highest selling fake-guitar video game of all time.

The experts say that the first CD versions were crap, which leaves me in a quandary - do they sound bad enough for me to go out and buy replacements? Frankly, I doubt it. I'm not sure how much better they can sound, and in any event I'd rather spend the money on new material. But on the other hand, there is no questioning the fact that the version of "I Am the Walrus" which appeared on Love a couple of years ago (as remastered by George Martin and his son) had an aural vibrancy that far surpassed that of the original recording.

What I probably will buy is Abbey Road, which I still own only on vinyl, and The Beatles (aka the White Album), which I own only on a battered cassette tape that I made in 1981 from a friend's copy. Needless to say, we're not talking high fidelity there.

And someday, perhaps the rest, if that lottery ticket ever hits.

1 comment:

Son #1 said...

Well, it's not like you don't have the money to go out and replace your Beatles collection with new remasters... isn't Son #1 at college on a full academic scholarship?