Monday, January 18, 2010

Random Notes on a Second Viewing of "Avatar"


- The 3D effects were amazing, and brought vitality to the screen that was lacking in the 2D version - as impressive as that version was.

- This is going to sound strange, but seeing the movie for a second time made me really appreciate Zoe Saldana's performance as Neytiri. To be honest, I don't have any idea how Cameron captured the performances of the actors portraying the Na'vi. But what I do know is that watching Neytiri, you really felt as if you are watching someone embody the character with heart and feeling. With Jake Sully, you sort of feel as if you're watching a cartoon. Is that because of Sam Worthington's shortcomings? Perhaps.

- As spectacular as they are from a visual standpoint, the battle scenes are really the least impressive section of the film. Easy for me to say, but I wish Cameron had been able to figure out a way to tell the story of a man discovering another life and another culture without laying it on so thick with the "evil empire" business.

2 comments:

le0pard13 said...

When I took Avatar in a second time, I too discovered more in the Na'vi performances, especially Saldana's performance as Neytiri. That, and picking up on the things going on in the background that I missed the first time with the dazzling effects. I didn't mind Worthington. But, given the Terminator: Salvation and this, I'd like to see him in another genre to tell if he has more to offer.

Both times, I saw this in IMAX-lite theaters. I'm looking forward to seeing it a third time at the local (true sized) IMAX theater nearby. But, it's still doing boffo business and the really great seats are still are to come by. Yes, the evil corporation angle was laid on a little thick, but they make a good villain, now don't they ;-).

Good post. Thanks.

Jeff Vaca said...

Coincidentally, I saw "Terminator: Salvation" for the first time the night before seeing Avatar for the first time, and in that film I thought Worthington was very good. Avatar was almost over before I realized it was the same guy - for some reason, in Avatar he seemed to lack "spark."