Friday, April 30, 2010

American Top 40 Flashback - "Reunited," Peaches and Herb

For the last 4 years that I worked in downtown Sacramento, I rode the bus to and from work every day. The office I worked for participated in a rideshare incentive program, and by saving my points for six months I could cash them in for an Amazon.com gift card worth $100. For a long, long time, I had my eye on a Rhino Records 6-CD collection of great 1970s soul tunes. And believe me, the 1970s was a great era for soul tunes. The list of artists who flourished in those years is almost staggering - The Chi-Lites, The Spinners, The Stylistics, The Delfonics, Bill Withers, Earth Wind & Fire, The O'Jays, Tower of Power, War, Al Green, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Kool & the Gang...the list just goes on and on.

Right before I left, I cashed in the last of my points, and finally bought the damn thing. And it was one of the best purchases I ever made. This song takes the collection right up to the end, and it was a great way to go out. "Reunited," by Peaches and Herb. The #1 song this week in 1979, and one of the great soul classics of its day.

1 comment:

Bossy Betty said...

....and it feels SO GOOOOOOOOOD!