Sunday, April 18, 2010

"Angels and Fuselage"



I posted this on my Facebook page, but the performance is great enough that I think I'll put it here as well. Consider it part of my ongoing (and expanding) obsession with all things Drive-By Truckers.

In "Angels and Fuselage," from their album "Southern Rock Opera," Patterson Hood imagines what might have been going through the minds of the members of Lynyrd Skynyrd in those fateful moments as the plane was going down. It's an extraordinary song.

I also love this clip for what it shows about the band - Brad Morgan patiently smoking a cigarette as he waits to bring the beat in; Patterson Hood drinking a beer; Mike Cooley and Shonna Tucker taking hits from a bottle of Jack Daniels...but hey, this was obviously the last song of what was probably a long concert, so who's to complain? I will say that there was a lot less drinking going on at the show I saw a little over a week ago - aside from water, the only alcohol consumed onstage was a glass of wine by Shonna Tucker, during the encore.

1 comment:

mizage said...

Is this the 9:30 club