Sunday, April 11, 2010

Masters

Apparently there is one thing that you can take to the bank - if I am in Chicago during the Masters, Phil Mickelson is going to be the winner (last time that happened was '06, and here I was).

Today was the first day I was able to watch any of the tournament, and that was only for just over an hour. When I began watching, Phil was on the 10th hole, and when I had to leave, he was heading for the 15th tee. But in that hour, there was a lot of dramatic golf - from Tiger's ups and downs, and Anthony Kim's stirring back nine run, to Phil's usual match of brilliance and head-scratching failure (specifically, I'm thinking of 13). But when he is on, he is nearly impossible to beat - and with Tiger at less than 100%, the green jacket shouldn't come as a surprise.

The happiest person on the planet right now is PGA Commissioner Tim Finchem, who now knows - with Phil's victory, and Tiger's proclamation that he's not taking any weeks off between now and the U.S. Open - that the two best draws on the tour are primed for a showdown the likes of which hasn't been seen since the days of Nicklaus and Watson.

I'll go out on a short limb here, and say that Tiger will win both the U.S. and British Opens - with Phil contending in both. But whatever happens, it should be fun.

No comments: