Friday, April 23, 2010

"She Looks So Good, Oh She Looks So Fine"

A great, great post by Steven Rubio on Patti Smith's version of "Gloria." I wish I had written it.

Every so often, one of the blogs I read regularly will feature a post on "the ten songs that changed my life" or "the ten books that affected me most deeply" or something else like that. I've always thought to myself, "gosh, yeah...I love music and I love books and I love movies, but can I really say that a song or a book or a movie has changed my life?"

But one thing I can say for certain is that "Gloria" by Patti Smith changed the way I looked at music, and how I listened to music. I remember very clearly the first time I heard the song - when she performed it on "Saturday Night Live" in the spring of 1976 (I was a sophomore in high school) - and remember how exciting, how vital it sounded, and how exciting, how vital she sounded.

Steven's post captures all of that perfectly.

1 comment:

Bossy Betty said...

Thanks for the suggestion!