Friday, May 07, 2010

American Top 40 Flashback - "Call Me," Blondie

The late seventies king of disco, Giorgio Moroder, meets the queen of new wave, Deborah Harry, and the results are spectacular - "Call Me," the #1 song this week in 1980.

Also, one of the great movie openings - Richard Gere in "American Gigolo." I don't think I saw it more than once, but I liked it. At the time I subscribed to the Village Voice and read it from cover to cover, and I remember their film staff - which at the time consisted of Andrew Sarris, Carrie Rickey, J. Hoberman and Stuart Byron - was widely divided on Gere's performance. It's been a long time so I don't remember which one of them liked it, but I do remember that Bryon hated it with a passion - and he had been a long-time supporter of Gere's work, dating back to the time before Gere became famous. Truth be told, I think Bryon was a little bit in love with Gere - and he viewed "American Gigolo" as a betrayal of the talent he'd shown in "Days of Heaven" and the play "Bent."

No comments: