Friday, January 14, 2011

American Top 40 Flashback - "Come See About Me"



In the 1960s, Motown captured lightning in a bottle. I know (or at least suspect) that it's more hip to be a fan of the Stax sound from the same era, and I can understand that.

But then, I put on my Motown mix tape, which includes great, great hits from Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, The Four Tops, Martha and the Vandellas, The Temptations, the Jackson Five, and Diana Ross and the Supremes - 90, 120 minutes go by, and great song follows great song. And so many unsung heroes - the house band (with the legendary James Jamerson on bass), the songwriting and production team of Holland, Dozier, Holland...the list just goes on and on.

So, sure...you won't hear me making an argument that Diana Ross is a great an artist as Otis Redding. But what you might hear me say sometime is that "Come See About Me" is as great a song as "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay."

"Come See About Me," The Supremes, the #1 song in America this week in 1964.

No comments: