Friday, March 25, 2011

American Top 40 Flashback - Simon & Garfunkel



I normally try to find live performances of these songs, but in this instance providing anything other than the original is a disservice to the greatness of the record. And besides, the best video I could find was from the 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame concert, and their performance of the song at that concert was remarkably mannered.

When this song came out in 1970, I didn't like it - didn't understand its appeal at all. But at some point, it finally clicked. I think it was Dave Marsh who said something along the lines of "Yes, it's crooning. But it's the song that made crooning matter."

For me, the lyrics are less important than the music. But it's a pretty remarkable recording, no matter how you cut it.

"Bridge Over Troubled Water," Simon & Garfunkel. The #1 song in America this week in 1970.

1 comment:

le0pard13 said...

Oh, yeah. This is one of those albums I played over and over in my youth. Great highlight of the song and album, Jeff.