Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A New Master

For the second year in a row, I was attending a conference during Masters week, which meant that my viewing time was severely limited.

However, I did manage to sneak in the last 45 minutes or so of the tournament on Sunday, watching with about 100 others on a set of televisions located in the snack bar of the conference's trade show floor. I tuned in just in time to watch Charl Schwarzel march through the last three holes of Augusta National as if he had been playing them his entire life.

It was some pretty amazing stuff, made all the more so by the fact that this guy isn't exactly a household name. I watch a fair amount of golf, certainly more than the average person, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'd never even heard of the guy. But that was some of the most amazing golf this side of Jack Nicklaus in 1986. The aggression, the wonderful shots, and the wonderful reactions after sinking birdie putts on each hole. One for the ages.

It will amaze me if this guy doesn't win more - he's just got that look about him.

No comments: