Sunday, May 01, 2011

The News

I don't comment here on international politics, but the death of Osama bin Laden would seem to be an occasion that demands, if nothing else, simple acknowledgment.

First of all, I hope that this brings some small amount of consolation and closure for the families of those who lost loved ones and colleagues on 9/11, as well as all those who lived through the horrors of what happened in New York City and Washington D.C. on that fateful day.

Second, I hope that the pundits who are prone to such things will try to avoid using this as a political football, and try to be satisfied with general agreement that bin Laden's death is a good thing - for the world.

And I think it's worth noting that I found out about this on Facebook, and not one of the network or cable news outlets.

For us, it is a cause for celebration. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the world reacts.

No comments: