Monday, January 02, 2012

Wrapping Up Another Season

For the past several years I've been in two Fantasy Football leagues, but I've never had a night and day experience in them like I did this year.

In one league, I built my team around Aaron Rodgers.

In the other, I built my team around Michael Vick.

Guess which team finished dead last at 3-10, and which won the championship at 11-5.

But the championship didn't come easy - since that league utilizes all 17 weeks of the NFL season (something I will again lobby against next year), I was without the services of Mr. Rodgers, and did not have the foresight to acquire Matt Flynn for the week. I also made one huge roster blunder, sitting Marques Colston in favor of Willis McGahee (who, in fairness, had a good day). But I was saved by Victor Cruz, who brought me from way back to score a 106-101 victory that wasn't secure until the bitter end (my opponent had Jason Witten of the Cowboys). It's my first title in a while, and it felt pretty good.

As for the real NFL, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the number of teams who made the playoffs while playing horrible football in December. And although I'll be rooting for the 49ers, you've got to like the Packers to repeat. But...don't count out the Niners, or the Saints, or even the Ravens.

No comments: