Sunday, April 22, 2012

One More Record Store

I don't know how I missed this one, since it's been the premier record store in downtown Sacramento for nearly 30 years now - The Beat, located at the corner of J & 17th Streets.

Speaking from experience, I know that you can kill off an entire lunch hour just browsing their stacks, both new and used CDs and vinyl.  And I always manage to find something that I didn't know existed before - something that looks cool for the cover alone.

My most memorable experience here was probably hearing Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" for the first time.  I stood right in front of one of the huge speakers placed at strategic points around the store, with shivers going up and down my spine.

The store is celebrating its 30th anniversary in a couple of weeks.  Here's hoping that it lasts for 30 more years.

No comments: