Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Songs of Summer, #14 - "I'm Doin' Fine Now" (1973)

In my book, "I'm Doin" Fine Now" is one of the great unsung singles of all time.  It was a huge hit, but unless I missed something it was the only hit the group ever had.  Like the Spinners and The Stylistics, New York City was produced by Thom Bell, the Burt Bachrach of his generation.  Pure genius, from start to finish.

For years, the tune stuck in my head, and it was the main reason that I finally broke down in 2004 and bought the seven-CD Rhino Records collection of classic 1970s soul hits.  Which sadly is out of print, because it was one of the best music purchases I've ever made.

One thing I've realized in searching for songs to include on my list is that 1973 was just a killer summer for the AM radio hits.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if, by the end of this little project, there are more songs from 1973 than any other year.

"I'm Doin' Fine Now," New York City, from the summer of 1973.

 

No comments: