Sunday, September 23, 2012

We've Been Having Fun All Summer Long

Since we were heading out of town for a couple of relaxing days on the coast, I didn't have a chance to properly wrap up the little summer project that turned out to be bigger than I expected.  95 songs is a lot to write about, and it was probably obvious on some days that my inspiration was a bit lacking.  But I made it through, and there are enough songs left over that you may be seeing "Son of 95 Songs of Summer" next June.

I also want to give special thanks to Michael Alatorre, my fellow blogger from down south, who supported the series through posts on Facebook and Twitter, and probably doubled the number of people who viewed it as a result. 

And for the sake of completion, an overview of the "songs of summer," by decade:

60s: All Summer Long, Like a Rolling Stone,  Harper Valley PTA, Honky Tonk Women, Sugar, Sugar, In the Year 2525, My Cherie Amour, Hey Jude, Ode to Billie Joe, Hot Fun in the Summertime, Israelites, Heat Wave, White Bird.

70s: We're An American Band, Keep It Comin' Love, Sweet Home Alabama, Third Rate Romance, Can't Get Enough, Play That Funky Music, More Than A Feeling, Rockaway Beach, China Grove, Don't Stop, I'm Still in Love With You, I Shot the Sheriff, Ride Captain Ride, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Margaritaville, Cruisin', Magic Man, Get Down Tonight, The Bitch is Back, Coconut, Why Can't We Be Friends?, Best of My Love, Lookin' Out My Back Door, Three Times a Lady, Brother Louie, You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine, I'm Not Lisa, Spill the Wine, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, The Night Chicago Died, Mainstreet, Bad, Bad Leroy Brown, Racing in the Street, My Sharona, Rock Your Baby, Radar Love, You're the One That I Want, Brandy, Alone Again (Naturally), How Long, Kiss and Say Goodbye, Surrender, One of These Nights, I'm Doin' Fine Now, Baker Street, In the Summertime, Ball of Confusion, Kodachrome, Whatcha Gonna Do?, So Very Hard to Go, Live and Let Die, Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, Jet Airliner, I'm Not in Love.

80s: True to Life, Ramblin' On My Mind, Burning Down the House, She Drives Me Crazy, Games Without Frontiers, Mirror in the Bathroom, Let My Love Open the Door, Let's Go Crazy, Only the Lonely, Seven Year Ache, Cruel Summer, Jessie's Girl, Kiko and the Lavender Moon, What's Love Got to Do With It, Emotional Rescue, Urgent, Every Breath You Take.

90s: Too Darn Hot.

00s: I Gotta Feeling, The Rising, Summer Days, Harvey Haddix, Summerlong, Crazy.

10s: I Love It, Split Decision, Ready to Start.

If you wanted to make yourself a playlist, you could do a lot worse than this one.

And that, folks, is all she wrote.

1 comment:

le0pard13 said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Jeff. And it was my pleasure to help spread the word to a splendid summer series in song.