Sunday, December 16, 2012

Day 12 - "Silent Night," The New York Children's Chorus



Sometimes, the simplest tributes are the best.

I'm sure I'm far from the only person who has spent the better part of the last two days trying to think of just about anything but the horrible, senseless tragedy in Connecticut.  We've gone through similar tragic events in the past.  But this one is different.  This one strikes at the very heart of what we are as a society and a people.

I'm not going to say anything about what should happen now, because I don't want to further crowd the Internet with more thoughts, no matter how well intentioned they may be.  Anyone with a Facebook page or a Twitter feed has been fed a steady diet of certainty in the past 48  hours.  But there aren't any easy answers for a tragedy of this scale, or easy solutions.

And as difficult as it may be, life does go on.  There are beautiful moments that happen nearly every day.  I'm one of the lucky ones; my two sons are both home from college for the holidays, and even if we're not doing something together, I'm just happy to know they are here.

So kudos to SNL for a perfect cold open on a night when we all needed a little distraction.

"Silent Night," The New York Children's Chorus.

No comments: