Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Listing: Books of 2012

This is downright embarrassing, I know.  Six books read over the course of an entire year?  I've got to do something about that in 2013. 

In my (lame) defense, two of the books were really, really long: Stephen King's "11/22/63," and Ron Chernow's "Washington."  The latter was my personal literary white whale of the year.  I began reading it on Memorial Day weekend, with the goal of finishing by Independence Day.  July 4 rolled around, and the goal became to finish by Labor Day.  September 3 came a calling, and the goal shifted to Veterans Day.  A goal that I met - hooray!
  • Washington, by Ron Chernow
  • Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi
  • Stay Close, by Harlan Coben
  • Taken, by Robert Crais
  • The Drop, by Michael Connelly
  • 11/22/63, by Stephen King
I enjoyed them all, particularly the bookend epics.  King's take on the Kennedy assassination is right up there with the best of his works, and Chernow makes Washington monumental and human at the same time.

No comments: