Monday, April 29, 2013

History

It was always going to happen, eventually.  But hearing the news for the first time this morning, it felt as it should - like a milestone, a moment in history that you would always remember.
 
And even though I'm a bit more fanatic about sports than your average fan, I have to admit that I had no idea who Jason Collins was - my attention to the NBA has dropped in recent years with the slow descent of the Sacramento Kings, and it's only during playoff time that my antennae are raised to any relevant degree.  And it's not as if the Washington Wizards have made many recent postseason appearances.
 
Nothing I can say will equal the brevity and the poignancy of the statement by Jason's twin brother Jarron, so I'll just reprint it here:
 
"Today, Jason has taken a huge weight off his shoulders. And I've never been more proud of him."

No comments: