Thursday, September 11, 2014

Stones Mixtape

On Labor Day, my blogging pal le0pard13 posted a Beatles mixtape that he put together for one of his friends.  In it, he mentioned that a different friend was putting a Stones mixtape together, and that piqued my interest because I'd been thinking about doing the same thing.

Mixtapes and I go way back.  I started making them in the 1970s, and still have a couple left over from those days.  Mixtapes were an integral part of wooing my wife, and since I didn't drive a car with a CD player (or with an iPod plug-in) until last year, they also helped me survive my daily commute for more than two decades.

I like to think that I still make mixtapes, although now I do them on CDs.  It's not quite the same thing, because the act of taping the song while it's playing forces one to be thoughtful about the flow of songs - just because two songs are great doesn't always mean that they're going to sound great when you listen to them back-to-back.  And others that you might not think are so great at first blush? Well, they sound just fine when coupled with something you might not expect.

As you've probably surmised by now, I think about these things more often and more deeply than your average human being.

So with no further ado, I present my Stones mixtape.  It's just under 90 minutes long, so it would fit on one standard length cassette tape, and touches on every phase of their career (and tries to represent the diversity of their musical palette).  I may have been a little rough on the mid-seventies, but I don't feel bad at all about leaving out a couple of their late career LPs, mostly because they were so unmemorable.

The Rolling Stones

Route 66
It's All Over Now
Not Fade Away
Sittin' on a Fence
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Paint It Black
She's a Rainbow
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Gimme Shelter
No Expectations
Dear Doctor
Love in Vain
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Stop Breaking Down
Miss You
Some Girls
Shattered
Start Me Up
Mixed Emotions
Biggest Mistake
Like a Rolling Stone

The great thing with a band like this?  You could do another one and it might be just as good.

1 comment:

le0pard13 said...

Love it! I agree, too, there is that missing element using today's technology that takes away from this venerable art. It becomes too easy, too quick to put it together. Cueing up the song, recording it to tape, took time. Offering up greater stretch to think about what should come next in the mix.

Now you've got me thinking of doing another mixtape using the old tools. I've a turntable again, along with a TEAC cassette deck. Hmm…