Sunday, December 13, 2015

My pick for Sportsman of the Year

Last year, I nailed it with my early prediction that Madison Bumgarner would be named as Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year.  I'm far from certain about this year's pick, but will go with what my gut has been telling me for months and select Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams as my own personal Sportsman/Sportswoman of the Year.  Each of them came this close (hold up thumb and forefinger) from having truly historic years (in which case either or both would have been obvious choices), but winning three of four majors - with style, class and power - is nothing to sneeze at.  And as evidenced by the photo at left, they also look pretty good together out on the dance floor.

Others who I could see winning?  Steph Curry, of course.  The Kansas City Royals as a team.  The U.S. Women's Soccer Team, or Carli Lloyd for her individual performance in this year's World Cup.  Had Ronda Rousey won her bout against Holly Holm last month, I would have considered her a top contender.  Jordan Spieth, who came pretty close to an historic year himself.  American Pharoah?  Well, if they didn't give it to Secretariat, I can't imagine they would give it to any horse.

All would be defensible choices - but for me, the best choice would be Novak and Serena.  However it plays out, we'll find out for certain tomorrow.

[Photo Credit: Thomas Lovelock/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images]

No comments: