Saturday, November 30, 2019

Top 50 Songs of the Decade, #41 - "Grand Paradise," Foxing

"Foxing is an American indie rock band from St. Louis, Missouri."  So begins the band's Wikipedia page, but that description hardly seems to do them justice.  Mind you, I'm not quite sure how I'd characterize them either - is "American indie art rock band" a valid category?  And even that isn't entirely accurate.  Maybe when you can't pigeonhole an artist, that's a good thing.



The first time I heard this song - on the video you see above - I knew it was right up my alley.  I immediately texted the link to two friends - one of whom shared my enthusiasm, the other who responded, "I gave up after two minutes.  I don't get it."  And I understand that.  It's not exactly mainstream.

The Thanksgiving holiday weekend isn't over yet, so I want to close this post by acknowledging and extending thanks to Michele Catalano for introducing me to Foxing.  We've never met, but she's one of the handful of people that I've read/connected with on social media since beginning this blog 13 years ago.  She's an excellent writer - you can read her essays at Medium (https://medium.com/@inthefade), or follow her on Twitter @inthefade.  Her music tastes don't always merge with my own, but I've bought (and really liked) several records based on her recommendations.  So...thank you, Michele.

Top 50 Songs of the Decade, #41 - "Grand Paradise," Foxing.

No comments: