Saturday, September 09, 2006

Let's Talk Beatles

A colleague gave me an extra copy of the July 2006 issue of Mojo (a music magazine from England) that ranks the “101 Greatest Songs” of The Beatles. I love lists like this – since they represent a composite opinion, it’s impossible to be in agreement with every single choice. That makes them the perfect argument-starter, because in many cases it’s easy to disagree, perhaps vehemently, with some of the choices.

For instance, I immediately notice that one of the panelists (and it’s a big panel, probably close to, if not over, 100 members) is Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips, a band that I despise as much as any that’s ever existed. Not only do I hate their music - I honestly can’t understand how anyone can like it as much as, say, Jim DeRogatis of the Chicago Sun-Times, who’s actually written a book about the band. I’m freely willing to admit that this may be a blind spot in my musical tastes (which are VERY broad), but it doesn’t bode well for my being in general agreement with the Mojo list.

The other bias I feel compelled to reveal before dissecting the top 25 Mojo picks is that I think Sgt. Pepper is the most overrated album in rock history. Don’t get me wrong – I don’t think it’s a bad album; in fact, I think it’s a very good album. But it seems to be the popular choice among most major rock publications and aficionados as the best album of all time, and I just don’t see it. Maybe it’s a “you had to be there” kind of thing, but I can think of at least five Beatles albums that I prefer – Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road, Beatles for Sale, and A Hard Day’s Night. If forced to choose, I’d probably also pick the White Album over Sgt. Pepper, even though the Manson connections creep me out to this day.

And if it seems unfair that I would dissect someone else’s Beatles list without providing my own, be patient…I’m working on it! So, with further ado:

25. Nowhere Man. When I was in fourth grade, my parents bought me “Yesterday and Today” for my birthday. This song was on it, and at the time I really didn’t like it. Over the years it’s grown on me, and now I can see why some would rank it so high. No major quibble with this choice.

24. Please Please Me. An absolute classic; will definitely be higher on my list.

23. Ticket to Ride. I think Dave Marsh once picked this as his favorite Beatles song, so it obviously has some legs. I love it, and think it’s one of Ringo’s best performances.

22. I Saw Her Standing There. One of the best screams in rock and roll history. If you can’t get people out on the dance floor with this one, you’ve invited the wrong people to your party. Definitely deserves to be ranked this high.

21. Here Comes the Sun. Hmm…one of George’s best songs, without question. But is it really better than, for instance, “Help,” which barely broke the top 50? This seems a little high.

20. Rain. Andy Partridge of XTC: “Rain represents the glorious death of the old Beatles, the part where they stood at the pinnacle of their own Everest after they’d done all they could with just guitars, bass and drums.” XTC was one of my favorite bands back in the day, but hey – I like guitars, bass and drums. I like this song a lot, but I’m not sure it belongs in the top 20.

19. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown). I guarantee this will be in my top 10. I don’t know if Dylan was influencing Lennon or if it was the other way around, and I’m not sure it makes any difference.

18. Can’t Buy Me Love. Great song; one of Paul’s best. 18 seems about right.

17. While My Guitar Gently Weeps. This is really a tough one. At his best, George could write songs right up there with John’s and Paul’s. They were ten times as prolific, but I think George deserves his place in the Hall of Fame. Having said that, this might be a bit high.

16. Revolution. A great turn-it-up-in-the-car song, but hardly deserving of a ranking this high.

15. With A Little Help From My Friends. Huh? Sure, I like this song, one of the few moments on Sgt. Pepper that isn’t self conscious. But it’s a total throwaway, and this is absurdly high within their pantheon.

14. I Want To Hold Your Hand. My first favorite Beatles song.

13. Come Together. This song illustrates the difficulty of comparing pre- and post-1966 Beatles songs. For all intents and purposes, this was a different band than the one that recorded “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” I’ll really have to think about this one.

12. Hey Jude. I always loved this song. Pretty simple stuff, but it still gets me every time.

11. Eleanor Rigby. Never much cared for this song, and I’m frankly amazed that it ranked this high.

10. A Hard Day’s Night. Yep, definitely top 10 material.

9. Penny Lane. This one never really did much for me either. I grant it’s brilliant, but it’s a bit on the precious side.

8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun. Based on her comments, Tori Amos seems to think this is an anti-NRA song. Somehow I don’t think that’s quite the gun that John had in mind. Seems a little high, but I like the song.

7. Something. Without question a pop classic, but is it a Beatles classic? I say yes. Might be a little high, but I won’t quibble.

6. In My Life. This could be John’s greatest song.

5. She Loves You. Oh yeah. Top 5, definitely.

4. Tomorrow Never Knows. For all its brilliance, this won’t be in my top 25. It’s just a matter of taste – I think they reached their peak in 65-66, and that the psychedelic era sapped their strength. Needless to say, not everyone agrees.

3. Yesterday. No, thank you. Never really liked it.

2. Strawberry Fields Forever. I won’t let the fact that this seems to be Wayne Coyne’s favorite Beatles song bother me – I think it’s great, probably the best of their psychedelic efforts. I probably won’t rank it this high.

1. A Day In The Life. Well, it won’t be my #1, even if it is the best song on Sgt. Pepper. It just seems like such an obvious choice, almost too obvious.

Overall, I have fewer issues with #11-25 than I do with their top 10. But that’s just me…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, lists - numbered lists, at that. It's such a hierarchical concept, so contrary to the spirit of that '60s that the Beatles did so much to kindle. I think Sean Lennon's four-wheel analogy was spot on. That said, lists are irresistible – it’s always nice to have one’s opinion ratified, and it can be therapeutic to build up a head of self-righteous steam over idiotic inclusions and even more idiotic exclusions … like “Within You Without You,” for example – certainly one of the most mature, sophisticated and all-round mind-blowing tunes the lads (OK, Georges Harrison and Martin) ever put on acetate. And the laughter at the end – added by Lennon and McCartney, some say, behind Harrison’s back – works on so many levels, reflecting both the innocent cheekiness of the young Beatles and the unfortunate bitterness that was too often to come. For my money, the genius of the Beatles is found in bits like that, the little tape loops and noises that expanded our concept of pop music and burrowed into our consciousness. “And in the end,” boys, we’re forever in your debt.