Friday, July 04, 2008

One Sentence Reviews

I’m bound and determined to review every album I’ve bought this year, even if I don’t really have the time to give each one the thought they deserve (or not, as the case may be). So with this post is introduced a new, possibly recurring feature: One Sentence Reviews! And I promise: if any of these albums makes my year-end Top Ten, I’ll write more than one sentence about it.

Shelby Lynne, Just A Little Lovin’. Sultry, veteran singer with one of the all-time great backstories takes on the legendary Dusty Springfield, and lives to tell the tale.

Sheryl Crow, Detours. Not as good as her best (by a long shot), but a lot better than her last two.

Old ‘97s, Blame It On Gravity. Solid, consistent alt-country band produces solid, consistent album with more than a few sublime moments.

Alejandro Escovedo, Real Animal. Austin veteran could very well get the breakout hit he deserves with this one, even if he does fare a bit better on the rockers than he does on the slow ones.

The Fratellis, Here We Stand. I don’t hear a lot of depth, but I do hear a lot of fun.

The Raconteurs, Consolers of the Lonely. The sophomore effort sounds like it was recorded by a real band, and results in an album I think I like better than Icky Thump.

Coldplay, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. I’m not sure what this band did to piss everyone off, but I like this one and can actually hear what Brian Eno brought to the table.

If you are fans of these artists, I can recommend all of these albums.

No comments: