Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Friday Night Lights

Last Friday, I attended my first high school football game of the season, watching Pleasant Grove High School (the school my sons attend) play the Del Campo Cougars, where I graduated from in 1978. Back in those days our football team was pretty bad - in my four years there, their best record was 5-5. But heading into last Friday's game, the Cougars were undefeated and ranked in the Top 12 in the city, while PGHS was 3-1 and ranked #4.

Del Campo's superior speed made the difference in the early going, aided by PGHS turnovers. Midway through the 3rd Quarter it was 21-0, but all of a sudden the Eagles began to play as if the game really mattered (it was a non-league game), and dominated the rest of the action. After two quick touchdowns, they again scored with 2 minutes to play, but for some reason attempted the 2-point conversion, which failed. DC recovered the ensuing onside kick, and played out the clock for a 21-20 victory. I have to admit I was silently rooting for them, at least half the time.

This shot is of the halftime show, featuring the PGHS Marching Band. Son #1 is on the drumline.

No comments: