Monday, June 01, 2009

Excerpts from "The Note"

OK, it will definitely lose something in the translation, but there are a few snippets that should be more than enough to provide a clue as to what the whole feels like.

"Jeff, I'll really be honest now - and this truly comes from my heart and may already touch on some I've written in those notes but I'll start...Our friendship is one true virtue where nothing can break our bond. But moreso, our own relationship, is one of greatness."

- As previously mentioned, the relationship would last four more months. And take note of the use of "moreso," which is sprinkled liberally throughout the letter. It was the source of much hilarity when my wife and our friend read through it after a couple of pitchers of margaritas.

"It's funny to think that in 3 or 4 years from now - we may not know each other (I hope not) and your new wife/girlfriend reads this, I hope you won't get embarrassed."

- Two things here - I think she was trying to say that she would still know me 3 or 4 years from now, though it doesn't quite read that way. As for the embarrassed part - yeah, sure.

"I believe that in this short time, we've found out each other's feelings, although I may not always believe you..."

- ...and please pay no mind to that sharp knife I have trained on your back while you're not looking.

"You have a part of me that I can never give anyone else."

- I feel it important at this juncture to state for the record that we did not know each other, in the biblical sense.

"I realize you may not believe this, but how can you give that part of yourself to someone else? It's impossible - and the part I gave you and still am, comes from my heart & soul."

- I can only wonder whether this made any sense in 1977.

"P.S. Love is only understood by those who are in love.........(explaining this short story)

- This must have been directed at my parents, and the notion in her mind that they might try to read what was in my Yearbook. But I'm pretty sure that the note didn't make any sense to me back then, so I probably should have saved myself four months and high-tailed it out of there right then.

And there you have it.

No comments: