Sunday, July 19, 2009

Open Live-Blog #10

- 17th hole, the classic eagle/birdie opportunity.

- Watson hits his tee shot way left, and that really could be it.

- They can't even find his ball.

- They've found the ball. Titleist 3. He's got no shot, and will just have to chop it back to the fairway.

- Watson: "I don't know if I can get it out of there, but I've got to give it a try."

- He doesn't get it out of the rough. Damn, this is sad. He gets it out of the rough, but he lies 3 and he's still not even close to the green.

- Meanwhile, Cink is in the fairway, and his only real opponent right now is his nerves.

- Cink's shot is on the green, and he is in command. Watson will need to hit a miracle shot, or hope that Cink pulls a Van de Velde on the last hole.

- Watson's fourth - on the green, but still away.

- Watson hits a great putt, but there's not much he can do at this point except hope for a complete Cink meltdown.

- Short Cink putt for birdie, which means he'll head to the final hole with a 3-stroke lead.

- Watson misses the bogey putt.

- Cink makes the birdie putt.

And I think I'm going to wrap it up. There was a time in my life when I would have cheered this Watson meltdown, but that was when I was younger and dumber. Sure, this was Tom's tournament to win, but his play at this Open is still one of the remarkable golf stories in some time - and in an era when Tiger Woods has made remarkable look routine, that's saying something.

Good job, Tom. Keep your chin up.

No comments: