Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Top 25 Albums of the 2000s, #5 - "Modern Times," Bob Dylan

Speaking of Bob Dylan...

I'm not sure what to say about "Modern Times" except to say that it represents a master at the height of his powers, clearly having a ball, demonstrating that when it comes to rock 'n roll, age really has very little to do with success.

And since Dylan is probably as well known for his way with words as he is for his musicianship, I'll give the man his due with some nuggets that pop out at you, just as you're marveling at the band or how Dylan's voice is driving the music.

Feel like my soul is beginning to expand
Look into my heart and you will sort of understand
You brought me here, now you're trying to run me away
The writing's on the wall, come read it, come see what it say

- Thunder on the Mountain


My cruel weapons have been put on the shelf
Come sit down on my knee
You are dearer to me than myself
As you yourself can see
I'm listenin' to the steel rails hum
Got both eyes tight shut
Just sitting here trying to keep the hunger from
Creeping it's way into my gut

- Workingman's Blues #2

The suffering is unending
Every nook and cranny has it's tears
I'm not playing, I'm not pretending
I'm not nursing any superfluous fears

Ain't talkin', just walkin'
Walkin' ever since the other night
Heart burnin', still yearnin'
Walkin' ‘til I'm clean out of sight

- Ain't Talkin'

No comments: