Monday, December 28, 2009

Urban Meyer's Indecision

First of all, let me get my bias out of the way - I've never liked Florida football. In fact, I root against them with a passion that I reserve for few teams.

But as much as Florida football, Urban Meyer, and Tim Tebow have aggravated me in recent years, I found much to admire in Meyer's announcement on Saturday that he was resigning as the Gators' head coach (as a result of health concerns). Finally, here was a man who seemed to have his priorities in order, a man who recognized that his health and his family really were more important than a never-ending quest for the next national championship.

That's why Meyer's Sunday turnaround was so baffling. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see any way to interpet his actions of Sunday that doesn't tarnish his reputation and his integrity. Apparently, his "second family" (the Florida players and coaches) is more important than his real family, not to mention that heart beating with so much stress inside of his body.

Viewed less harshly, Meyer's actions on Sunday betray a man suffering through a crisis that will define his life, one way or another. I can't imagine that this is over, because regardless of whether I like him or not, he is a man of integrity. The "solution" he's reached is really no solution at all, and is probably one that hurts, rather than helps, the things that he holds dear to his life - his family, the school, his coaches, and his team.

No comments: