Saturday, August 18, 2012

95 Songs of Summer, #58 - "Mirror in the Bathroom" (1980)

The English Beat didn't have a long career, but they made the most of it.  All three of their albums were outstanding, and included enough classic songs to ensure that they'd remain a presence on the radio for three decades.  Music as good as theirs is truly timeless, and there's no question that songs like "Twist and Crawl," "Save It For Later," and "Doors of My Heart" (to pick just three) sound as new and fresh today as they did when they were released.

If forced to pick just one of the albums, I'd go with the debut, "I Just Can't Stop It," probably because it was those songs that I heard the band play during a memorable October 1980 concert, opening for Talking Heads.  The album is a winner from start to finish, and I'd be happy picking any of its songs, but I'll go with one of the most famous.

The English Beat, "Mirror in the Bathroom," from the summer of 1980.


No comments: