Friday, September 14, 2012

95 Songs of Summer, #86 - "Can't Get Enough" (1974)

I don't think of Bad Company that often, but when I do, I realize that they really weren't a bad band at all.  When their first album was released in the late summer of '74, I thought I was really cool for buying it, and even though it's not much more than classic meat-and-potatoes rock and roll, it still sounds good today.  And there's nothing wrong with meat and potatoes, when you get right down to it.

Along the course of its primary 8-year stint, the band added some flourishes to its sound - synthesizers, etc. - but that first album was stripped down rock 'n roll at its best - about as simple as it could get.  You had known quantities like Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke from Free, and Mick Ralphs from Mott the Hoople, leading the way.  Kirke's drumming was so basic that he made someone like Max Weinberg sound like Ginger Baker, but he pounded the skins so hard you couldn't be blamed for thinking that he was trapped in a burning building, struggling to beat the door down and escape to freedom.

"Can't Get Enough" is a great radio song, and from the very first lyrics, the band's tone and approach was established:

Well I take whatever I want
And baby, I want you

OK, whatever works.  My guess is that took whatever they wanted quite often.

Bad Company, "Can't Get Enough," from the summer of 1974.

 

No comments: