Monday, September 17, 2012

95 Songs of Summer, #90 - "Sweet Home Alabama" (1974)

Ladies and gentlemen, the song that introduced a southern band to the world - a band that in three short years would achieve iconic status, a status cemented by the tragic plane crash that took the life of leader Ronnie Van Zant and guitarist Steve Gaines.

And make no bones about it, Lynyrd Skynyrd was a great band - I wish I could say that I'd seen them live, but never had the opportunity...and then it was too late.  And yes, I know the remnants of the band still tour together under that name, but it isn't the same.  The real Lynyrd Skynyrd went down in that plane in the fall of 1977.

And while the verse about Neil Young - "a southern man don't need him around anyhow..." is justifiably famous, my favorite part of the song comes at the very beginning, with Ronnie's spoken "turn it up."

OK, I think I will.  Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Sweet Home Alabama," from the summer of 1974.

 

No comments: