Sunday, September 21, 2014

LP of the Week - The "King" Kong Compilation

It's not quite in mint condition, but I suspect that "The "King" Kong Compilation" is one of the most valuable albums I own.  Currently, Amazon.com is listing 3 new copies available on CD, starting at $206.  I've looked for a CD version myself for years, to no avail.  Finally, I just went ahead and converted each song on the album to MP3 format, so I could listen to it on my iPod.

Why the album has virtually fallen off the face of the Earth is a mystery, because there's no question that it's one of the handful of landmark compilations ever compiled. A collection of reggae recordings produced by legendary producer Leslie Kong from 1968 to 1970, it features most of the early reggae legends - Desmond Dekker, The Maytals, The Melodians, The Pioneers, Delroy Wilson, Bruce Ruffin.  About the only major Kong artists not represented on the album are The Wailers and Jimmy Cliff, and they really aren't missed - the songs are that strong.

Track Listing:

Israelites - Desmond Dekker and the Aces
Monkey Girl - The Maytals
Sweet Sensation - The Melodians
Freedom Street - Ken Boothe
Let Them Talk - Tyrone Evans
Samfie Man - The Pioneers
It's My Delight - The Melodians
Peeping Tom - The Maytals



Rivers of Babylon - The Melodians
Gave You My Love - Delroy Wilson
Bitterness of Life - Bruce Ruffin
Night Flight (Sentimental Journey) - Ansell Collins
Long Shot Kick de Bucket - The Pioneers
It Mek - Desmond Dekker and the Aces
Why Baby Why - Ken Boothe
Monkey Man - The Maytals



The best known songs are those that open each side of the album, but it's really not a stretch to say that every song on here is great - no exceptions.  It's impossible to listen to it without feeling better, about music, or just life in general. 



The "King" Kong Compiliation: a great, great album.

1 comment:

Larry A. said...

I don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde.