Monday, June 09, 2008

Really Quick Hits: Raveonettes, Counting Crows



Lust Lust Lust, The Raveonettes. I would say that this album is not for everyone. Imagine, if you will, surf music filtered through the Phil Spector Girl Groups of the early 1960s. Then, add a dash of Angelo Badalamenti's score for Twin Peaks. And then mix all of that together with The Jesus and Mary Chain. If this makes you think heck ya, that's for me, then by all means, go right out and buy this album. If this makes you think what the heck is this guy talking about, then you should probably take a pass.

Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings, Counting Crows. I can't quite get my arms around this one, because there are parts of it I really like and parts of it that still are not quite engaging me. I may write about it more later, because I suspect that some of the more inscrutable songs may kick in at some point. I much prefer the "Saturday Nights side" - largely electric, produced by Gil Norton, and driving rock in the tradition of the best Crows. That's not to say that there aren't some good songs on the "Sunday Mornings side," but for now they haven't kicked in at the level of the former. One thing is for certain - "Hanging Tree" is one of the very best songs they've ever recorded. Another thing is for certain - "On A Tuesday In Amsterdam Long Ago" is one of the very worst songs they've ever recorded. Add it all together, and you've got a good album that will appeal to Crows fans, and one that won't matter to anyone else.

No comments: