Friday, April 13, 2007

The 50 Music Project: A Major Find


I should have known that Rasputin would come through for me. One of my favorite haunts during my two years in Berkeley, it was where I bought many albums that remain on my all-time favorite list today - including The River by Bruce Springsteen, Gold and Platinum Band by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sandinista by The Clash, and Avalon by Roxy Music.

It wasn't at the Berkeley store, but the San Francisco edition (on Powell Street, just off of Union Square) where I found "Billboard 1972 Top Rock 'n Roll Hits," which includes three songs that are key to the 50th Anniversary Music Project: Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan, Brandy (You're A Fine Girl) by Looking Glass, and Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) by The Hollies. Lest one think that I've lost my sanity, those three songs were major parts of the soundtrack of our first family trip to Disneyland, made in the late, great Kingswood Estate in June 1972.

The SF Rasputin is great - five stories, and to get past the second story you have to take an elevator, complete with an elevator operator who plays tunes on his iPod through an ancient boombox. I'm here in the City through Tuesday, and I suspect I'll be back - there are a lot more bins to browse through.

In the meantime, thank you Rasputin.

No comments: